Collaborative Partnerships with Families
During this session we will explore and critically reflect on:
- Fulfilling our commitment to NQS; EYLF; UN Conventions of the Rights of the Child; and ECA Code of Ethics.
- Creating a sense of belonging for all families.
- Valuing families as co-contributors and partners in the learning environment.
- Building connections and community links.
- Questioning our own personal beliefs, values,biases and perspectives.
- Developing open, honest two way communication and shared decision making with families.
- Defining heteronormative practices that exist in our service.
- Supporting individual parenting practices, culture and family structure.
- Taking a risk and challenging the status quo.
ECA CODE OF ETHICS (2016)
IN RELATION TO FAMILIES, I WILL:
- Support families as children’s first and most important teacher and respect their right to make decisions about their children.
- Listen to and learn with families and engage in shared decision making, planning and assessment practices in relation to children’s learning, development and wellbeing.
- Develop respectful relationships based on open communication with the aim of encouraging families’ engagement and to build a strong sense of belonging.
- Learn about, respect and respond to the uniqueness of each family, their circumstances, culture, family structure, customs, language, beliefs and kinship systems.
- Respect families’ right to privacy and maintain confidentiality.